Sleep apnea is “an involuntary cessation of breathing that occurs while a [person] is asleep”[Source: American Sleep Apnea Association]. Those who fail to treat their sleep apnea “stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep, sometimes hundreds of times during the night and often for a minute or longer.” It can be extremely dangerous for an individual to avoid getting treatment if they have been diagnosed with having sleep apnea as it can “have serious and life-shortening consequences” which include:
- Developing high blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Increased chance of engaging in an automobile accident by falling asleep at the wheel
- Other ailments
There are three types of sleep apnea which we define below for you.
- Obstructive sleep apnea– This is “caused by a blockage of the airway, usually when the soft tissue in the rear of the throat collapses and closes during sleep.”
- Central sleep apnea– This is when “the airway is not blocked but the brain fails to signal to muscles breathe.”
- Mixed sleep apnea– This is a combination of both obstructive and central sleep apnea.
Not only does sleep apnea put a person at risk of developing health issues, but it also prevents an individual from getting in a good night’s rest. In return, this can lead to a person making mistakes on the job and even causing a truck driver who is responsible for sitting behind the wheel of a vehicle for hours at a time to fall asleep. Not only does this put their life at risk, but all others traveling around them.
If you were involved in a truck accident with a driver in East Baton Rouge, LA who fell asleep at the wheel, consider contacting a LA truck crash attorney who can help you to hold them accountable for their negligent behavior. The fact is, just because a truck driver suffers from sleep apnea doesn’t mean they can’t be held liable for causing a crash. The truth is, sleep apnea is a treatable condition and since the driver failed to receive the necessary medical treatment to help improve his/her ability to get in an adequate amount of rest, there is a strong chance they will be required to provide you with the compensation you not only need, but deserve.
Therefore, if you would like to speak with a reputable truck accident lawyer in East Baton Rouge, LA now, contact USAttorneys.com and we will gladly place you touch with a professional in your area.
How is sleep apnea treated?
As we mentioned above, there are various forms of treatment available for those who suffer from sleep apnea and anyone who is required to operate a large commercial truck is urged to learn more about what type would be best for them to receive. Some common types of treatment that are rendered to patients who have been diagnosed with sleep apnea include:
- Using a positive airway pressure machine, which also requires the use of a breathing mask.
- Oral appliances- The American Sleep Apnea Association says there are “over 100 different types of oral appliances that are FDA approved for the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.”
To learn more about these treatment options or find out what other types are available, visit your physician at your earliest convenience so that you or someone you know can begin receiving the help they need to get their condition under control.