Truckers and those motorists involved in accidents with semi-trucks both run the risk of sustaining serious injuries after a crash. Truck accident lawyers in Albuquerque have witnessed this time and time again as these accident victims come forward for help with their claims. While statistics have revealed that truckers cause some of these accidents, and for various reasons at that, drivers of smaller vehicles also play a role in the collision process.Alcohol consumption is one of the reasons why both commercial truck accidents occur and those involving other motorists.
A driver in Albuquerque, NM recently engaged in a crash and according to a news source, and alcohol may very well have been the contributing factor. The Albuquerque Journal highlighted details of an accident that recently occurred on westbound I-40 near Coors. The collision had the roadway blocked off for hours and apparently, the driver of an SUV swerved into a semi-truck and then veered back into her own lane.
Many drivers tend to correct their mistake but overly do so which causes the wreck to increase in severity. As a result of the SUV driver swerving back, the vehicle flipped several times, leaving her and her passenger dead, and her two children in the back suffering from injuries, one in critical condition. An Albuquerque police officer stated that the driver was ejected from the SUV at 2:45 a.m. when the accident was said to have occurred.
Why are so many drivers engaging in accidents with trucks these days?
- It is safe to say that most accidents that occur, whether they involve a semi-truck or other type of vehicle is because of a number of different things. For instance, our cell phones are nearly the number one distractor out there today. If you take a moment to glance at the driver next to you, more than likely they have their cell phone in hand, some even looking down at the screen. It is alarming to see the increased number of individuals looking down at their phones and not up at the street where traffic is moving and people are driving recklessly. And of course, engaging in cell phone usage also causes drivers to add to the danger that is already evident on our roadways.
- Alcohol consumption- This is yet another reason why so many truck accidents occur. Drivers who drink before or during their time when they get behind the wheel only add to the risk that is already present on our Albuquerque roadways.
How do truck drivers contribute to accidents?
As the truck industry continues to grow, so do the number of employees. According to Safer America, there are nearly 8.9 million individuals employed, which means there a large number of commercial trucks out on the roadways. Some of the leading causes of truck accidents over the last 10 years involving these types of vehicles include:
- 26% caused by prescription drug use
- 23% were traveling too fast
- 17% were fatigued
- 8% were under the influence of alcohol
- 3% took illegal drugs.
As these accidents become a growing issue, one thing you want to be certain of is that if you have recently engaged in an accident with a trucker or ever do, you need to hire an Albuquerque, NM truck accident attorney immediately as they can help you recover compensation you weren’t you aware you were entitled to.