New York, NY- Large commercial trucks are essential; they transport the goods Americans need and want. Tractor-trailers, semis and other large commercial vehicles are familiar sight in the roads and highways throughout New York and sometimes they crash, leaving behind a path of destruction. Commercial truck accidents, though less common than passenger vehicle accident, happen regularly and sometimes affect people’s lives in unimaginable ways.
Our team of New York truck accident attorneys are there to help you and your family through the troubling aftermath of a devastating truck accident.
Truck Accident Statistics
In 2013, according to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles there were:
- 11,452 total truck accidents throughout the state
- 5,194 people were injured in truck accidents, and
- 105 people were killed
The overwhelming majority of truck drivers have vast amounts of experience and take great pains to assure to keep from being involved in an accident. But professional truck drivers are under so much pressure to get their cargo to the right destination that the sometimes take risks and put others in jeopardy. And sometimes those risks lead to a catastrophic accident.
Facts about the causes of truck accidents via the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- Equipment failure is one of the leading causes of truck accidents. In an inspection blitz in 2003, the NHTSA found that nearly half on the trucks involved had at least one equipment violation that called for a truck to be put out of service. One in three trucks fail roadside inspections.
- Nearly 30 percent of truck accidents are caused by driver fatigue and 19 percent of truck drivers admit to falling asleep. Additionally, 64 percent of truck drivers admit to altering their driver logs to cover up their drive times.
- Twenty-two percent of fatal truck accidents involve speed.
- Distractions, particularly cell phone use, is increasingly becoming a factor in major truck accidents.
Each year, there are approximately 500,000 accidents involving large commercial vehicles with twice as many of those accidents turning out to be fatal, compared to passenger vehicle accidents. Because of climbing consumer demands, fatal truck accident rates have been climbing over the past few years and will like continue to climb as demands for transport grow.
The federal government imposes strict regulations on drivers and trucking companies with the express purpose of ensuring the safety of all motorist who travel the nation’s roads and highways. When a driver or a company fails to follow these regulations and others are hurt, they must take responsibility for their actions.
A New York truck accident attorney understands federal and state regulations and what role violations of these rules plays in catastrophic truck accidents. They know you have many questions and want to make a negligent driver or trucking company pay for the suffering you are enduring or have endured at their hands. An attorney’s main goal is to advocate for your rights and secure, for you, the best accident settlement possible. Don’t delay calling an attorney if you’ve been injured in a truck accident.
You can also visit www.potterlawoffices.com for answers to your legal questions regarding personal injury law.