While driving on the roadway, we see a lot of different things. From distracted drivers to individuals who have a heavy foot, the roadway definitely opens our eyes up to the dangers associated with driving. While many of us often get upset or frustrated when we encounter unsafe motorists, we generally don’t take the time to consider what we can do to help reprimand these careless individuals. But, the truth is, there are ways to do this and it starts with filing a complaint.
For the sake of this article, we are going to focus on filing a complaint against an unsafe trucking company as these vehicles tend to cause some of the most destructive and deadly accidents. If you happened to live in or nearby to Birmingham, AL and have witnessed a truck driver who has violated a law or regulation, you can report the company the driver works for by following these steps.
- You will need to file your claim with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and it will be entered into their National Consumer Complaint Database. Your claim will be analyzed and possibly be used for statistical purposes. The following information should be included in your claim:
- Your name, address, and telephone number.
- The name, address, and telephone number of the company you are filing a complaint against.
- The origin and destination of the shipment. You may be able to obtain this information by calling the company and requesting it. You will likely need to provide the vehicle’s license plate number along with other information that can help them identify the truck.
- The Department of Transportation (DOT) and Motor Carrier (MC) identification numbers if you have it available.
- List the specific violation you believe the company has committed.
- After your complaint is received and reviewed, it will remain in the company’s file as part of its permanent record.
- In the event FMCSA decides to take enforcement action against the company, you may receive a call or letter asking that you provide additional information and/or documentation.
What difference will my claim make?
When you file a claim with the FMCSA, it is your “chance to help identify motor carriers who are reported to have engaged in violations of the commercial regulations.” Your complaint will help FMCSA determine which companies need to be investigated who may be engaging in unsafe practices.
If a truck driver in Birmingham, AL caused an accident and you sustained injuries as a result, our AL truck collision lawyers will help prove the trucker was liable and assist you with recovering the compensation you need and deserve.
Whether you are a motorist who witnessed a trucker violating laws or someone who worked for a trucking company you know isn’t complying with state and federal regulations, you may want to file a complaint against the company to help get any unsafe drivers off the roadway. Now, if you have been involved in an accident with a commercial truck driver in AL and believe they were engaging in negligent behavior, our Birmingham, AL truck accident attorneys are the professionals who can help you build a case to recover the compensation needed for the damage the incident has caused.