On November 4th, a cyclist was killed in the East Cottage Street area around 1:50 p.m. when a dump truck struck the biker. While the driver of the truck remained on scene and cooperated with police, the reason for the accident has yet to be announced. According to the Boston Herald, no charges were filed regarding the incident, although an investigation was set to be conducted.
The fact is, every day, over 5 million residents in the state of Massachusetts travel on the roadways [Source: Massachusetts Department of Transportation]. With so many travelers out, truck accidents are bound to happen, some being fatal. Unfortunately, for this cyclist, while the reason for the accident remains unknown, there are a few reasons why this unfortunate truck accident occurred.
- The trucker failed to see the cyclist or was distracted.
- Some truck drivers are required to work long, exhausting hours which results in them driving while fatigued.
- The cyclist failed to follow the rules of the roadway and wound up riding in the truckers path.
Victims of truck accidents or the surviving family of a cyclist who was killed in a truck crash should be aware that they have rights in the matter and can take legal action. In the event the accident was caused by a trucker’s negligence, you could potentially collect compensation for your injuries, medical bills, and even for the time you lost from being out of work. To learn what your rights are, simply contact USAttorneys.com where you will be connected with a local truck accident lawyer in Boston.
Tips on How to Avoid an Accident if You Are an Avid Bicyclist
Cyclists should be aware of their surroundings when riding on the roadways to avoid accidents with vehicles, trucks, and even other riders.
In today’s day and age, riding a bike is a rather daring task. There are drunk drivers out on the roadways and motorists texting and driving. With so much distraction and inattentiveness, it is easy for a driver to engage in an accident. But, just because danger lurks on the roadways doesn’t mean you have to stop riding that bike of yours, whether it is used to get to work or for exercise.
So, if you choose to ride, there are a few tips to keep in mind on how to keep yourself safe out there in Boston as accidents continue to occur. Below we share a few tips you might consider implementing the next time you venture out on your bicycle.
- Familiarize yourself with the city laws. Bicyclists have certain laws they must abide by and knowing what they are can prevent you from engaging in an accident.
- Ride on the right. Rather than ride in the direction of oncoming traffic, it is best to ride in the same direction as traffic is traveling in.
- Try and make eye contact whenever possible, especially with large truck drivers who have blind spots or have difficulty seeing smaller vehicles and bicyclists.
- Ride defensively. Just as motorists are encouraged to drive defensively, it is also encouraged that those who ride a bike also remain on defense. Be aware of your surroundings, know who is front of you and who is behind you, and be cognizant of whether you are riding into a potentially dangerous situation.
[Source: Yield to Life].
In the event you are involved in a truck accident, whether it be with a dump truck, garbage truck, or commercial vehicle, the Boston truck crash lawyers USAttorneys.com can connect you with can assist with your case and get you the compensation you are due.