The garbage trucks that operate in the Bronx and other cities in NY are massive in size and often weigh around 50,000 pounds. When these vehicles engage in an accident with another driver, motorcyclist, pedestrian, etc., they often cause that person to suffer serious or fatal injuries. In January 2019, an off-duty NY officer was killed in a collision that occurred in the Bronx that involved a garbage truck.
It was around 8:20 a.m. when 28-year-old Brian Kessler, who has been assigned to Police Service Area #8 of the Housing Bureau was on his home from his overnight shift at the NYPD Headquarters. According to ABC 7 NY, Kessler collided with a City Parks Department garbage truck and had to be transported to Jacobi Medical Center. It was at the hospital where Kessler was pronounced dead. The news source said that “the crash happened on the road leading to the NYPD’s Rodman’s Neck Firing Range, as well as to City Island and there have been bad accidents at the traffic circle in the past.”
While it was unclear what caused the two vehicles to collide, the news outlet noted that the roads were icy at the time of the accident.
Now, if you were involved in an accident with a garbage truck in the Bronx, NY and you aren’t sure what your rights are as a victim or how to handle the matter, read on below for some helpful tips and to find out who you can contact to for legal help.
Steps to take after engaging in an accident with a garbage truck in the Bronx:
- Contact a Bronx, NY truck accident lawyer or have a loved one do so on your behalf if you cannot. It is important to bring an attorney on board directly after an accident while the evidence is still fresh and you are able to recall what happened.
- Document everything you can remember from the accident. If you weren’t able to write down any information while at the accident scene as you suffered serious injuries, take some time to jot down anything you can recall now. For instance, you are going to want to write down what company the driver working for and take note of whether he or she was engaging in any negligent or reckless behavior before the crash.
- Take photos of your injuries, your stay at the hospital, etc. if you are able to or have a family member assist with this.
- Keep copies of all your visit summaries from the hospital and/or with your physician.
- Write down in a journal how the accident has impacted you and your family thus far. Are your physical abilities limited? Are you unable to work? Has your relationship with your spouse changed? All of this is very important as it can help with your case should you decide to pursue the liable party for compensation.
Ready to speak with a truck accident lawyer who can answer your questions and address your concerns?
If so, you can contact Bronx, NY truck accident attorney Jeremy Schiowitz at 646-374-8369. Not only can attorney Jeremy Schiowitz answer any legal questions you or a loved one might have, but he can help you recover the compensation you might be due.
Isaacson, Schiowitz, & Korson, LLP has two offices which are located at:
Long Island Office
371 Merrick Road, Suite 302
Rockville Centre, NY 11570
New York City Office
5 Pennsylvania Plaza, 23rdFloor
New York, NY 10001