A Cook County woman was awarded $4.5 million after she was injured in a crash with a municipal garbage truck.

Chicago, IL-A Cook County woman, was recently awarded a $4.75 million personal injury settlement after she was injured by a municipal garbage truck in 2016. The payment was approved in a city council meeting on December 18, 2017.

Evanston Aldermen Approve Million-Dollar Settlement for Truck Accident Victim

The Evanston City Council approved a $4.75 million settlement for a woman who was injured in an accident involving a municipal garbage truck.

The settlement was a response to a personal injury lawsuit filed on October 24, 2016, according to the Chicago Tribune. The suit claims that the victim suffered permanent injuries, nerve damage, and has been unable to return to work since the crash.

Since the crash, the accident victim has undergone five surgeries and has paid exorbitant sums for medical treatment. She has health insurance, but it doesn’t cover all her medical expenses.

Although the Evanston City Council approved the payout, they did not admit any responsibility for the crash. They brokered a deal with the victim and asked her to drop the lawsuit in exchange for a settlement. The city will pay $125 million of the award, and the city’s insurer will cover the remainder.

The initial crash occurred on October 16, 2016, when a city garbage truck driver crossed the center line of a roadway in Skokie, sideswiping the victim’s SUV. Her vehicle spun around and was hit by another car, causing her to break her left leg and an arm, the Tribune reports.

Contact one of the truck accident lawyers at Chicago Dinizulu Law Group if you need to file a trucking accident claim.

Filing a Claim Against a Government Entity in Illinois

Filing a claim against a government entity in Illinois is a complicated process. Your claim will be unsuccessful if you don’t follow each step correctly and submit it within a specific time frame. If you are hurt by a municipal employee in Chicago, USAttorneys.com recommends you hire a truck accident lawyer to explain the steps you need to take to recover compensation from a city, county or state government.

Under the Illinois Court of Claims Act, you are first required to file a notice with the Attorney General’s office and the Clerk of the Court of Claims. You have a year from the date of your injury to do so, but notifying the AG’s office is just the first step of the claims process.

Contact the Dinizulu Law Group in Chicago if you were hurt by a city or county employee. You can reach one of their knowledgeable truck accident attorneys by calling 1-312-384-1920 or 1-800-693-1LAW. They have a dedicated team of legal experts who will your questions and give your case their personalized attention. Arrange a case evaluation with one of their attorneys today.